Marker One Frequently Asked Questions

How can I determine the weight of my Marker One?

Dry weights are listed in the Marker One Owner’s Manual or in the model year brochure. Dry weight is the weight of the boat with the smallest engine available on that model. You can estimate the additional weight of a bigger engine by adding 150 lbs. to each block increment.

How can I obtain parts for my Marker One?

To order parts, contact your local Marker One dealer, supply them with the serial number and a description of the parts needed. The transaction, in most cases, can take place via telephone and the parts can be drop shipped to you with the use of a credit card for payment.

How long are parts available for my Marker One?

Marker One will strive to keep all parts for a minimum of seven years. However, vendor constraints do play a part in this. Marker One does keep emblems and decals in stock dating back to the 2015 model year. To obtain part information, contact your local Marker One dealer supply them with the serial number and a description of the parts needed.

How can I determine what my Marker One is worth?

You can obtain Blue Book pricing on your Marker One by visiting

How do I transfer the warranty on my Marker One?

To transfer the Marker One warranty, contact your local Marker One dealer and ask them to provide you with a Marker One Warranty Transfer Form, or download the PDF form here. This form can be faxed or mailed to Cobalt Boats at 1715 N 8th St, Neodesha, Kansas, 66757 or faxed to 620-325-3342.

How can I obtain an Owner’s Manual for my Marker One?

You can access a PDF of your specific manual by going to

How can I obtain gelcoat to match the color of my Marker Once?

Gelcoat or gelcoat patch kits are available for Cobalt Boats / Marker One models built from 1973 to the present from Gel Coat Products, 958 N 127th, Seattle, Washington, 98133. Their phone number is 206-781-1162. Visit or for more info.

How can I find a Mercury dealer in my area?

Call 1-800-637-2879 or visit

How can I find an Evinrude dealer in my area?

Call 844-345-4BRP (4277) or visit

How can I find a Yamaha dealer in my area?

Call 866-894-1626 or visit

Can I take a tour of the Marker One manufacturing facility?

Marker One welcomes all visitors for plant tours and does not offer a specific schedule. If you are interested in visiting us, call 1-800-468-5764 and visit with a Marker One sales representative for your region of the country.

Can I take my Marker One to a Non-Marker One dealer for service?

Any Mercury, Yamaha, or Evinrude servicing dealer can perform routine maintenance, winterization, summerization or engine work on your Marker One. If your Marker One is still under warranty, Marker One would prefer you take your Marker One to an authorized Marker One dealer for boat related repairs. If you have moved, contact your selling Marker One dealer for further information about Marker One dealers in your new boating area.

Where can I purchase a trailer for my Marker One?

We do not sell or manufacture trailers. Marker One would recommend contacting your local or selling dealer to determine what trailer best fits your needs.

How do I clean the aluminum toons on my Marker One?

Please reference your Owner’s Manual:

What product(s) can I use to clean the upholstery on my Marker One?

Please reference your Owner’s Manual:

How can I locate a Marker One dealer in my area?

Click here for our dealer locator:

Where can I find outboard engine parts or technical support?

Mercury – call 1-920-929-5040, or online at
Evinrude – call 844-345-4BRP (4277), or online at
Yamaha - (866) 894-1626

Can a boat be CE certified if built for US waters and shipped to another country?

Marker One can only CE certify boats when they are ordered and built with those requirements. Once the boat leaves our facility, it is up to the owner to contact the country authorities for their ruling on boats coming into their country that are not CE certified. If the boat can be certified, it is the owner’s responsibility to meet the country’s requirements.